New to Homeschool?

Last April, my husband and I decided to take the plunge and home school our oldest 2 boys. Fourth grade and Kindergarten scare me just a little. I have a secondary education degree in Math and Spanish. I have taught full time and part time in several Christian schools, so this was definitely a big decision for us. I had intended to home school my kids once they reached middle school, so the idea was not completely foreign to me.
Choosing the right curriculum proved to be challenging at first, but I knew that with a 3 yr old still in tow, convenience would play a huge factor.  I chose to start with A BEKA. Their DVD program and streaming option would definitely be an asset.




We have completed lesson #149 today and are on schedule to be done the first week in May. We use a local home school covering, so I can not give any information regarding A BEKA Academy procedures. The Streaming option has be wonderfully convenient for us. We only experienced technical dificulties maybe twice during the year due to maintenance on the A BEKA side.

The kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Reese, is excellent. She involves her "home school" students in every activity and my son feels like a part of the class. She has captured his attention and he loves her.

My fourth grader loves Mrs. Amsbaugh who teaches science, math, history, Bible, and art. She is creative in her review and memorization techniques. We skip the video for Reading, Writing, and Spelling.

In October we made a trip to Florida for Fall Break and stopped by the school where they record the videos for A BEKA Academy. The boys werre able to personally meet and greet their teachers. Each one spent a good 30 minutes 1 on 1 with them. We were very pleased with this opportunity.


I am already making plans to order the A BEKA curriculum again for 1st and 5th grades.


Comments

  1. Brandon is going to love the 5th grade Math teacher, he is so funny! We love our Abeka videos as well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment